You don’t have to be a history buff to appreciate the ancient Maya people, notes Christopher McFadden, writing for InterestingEngineering.com. These talented, prolific engineers and artisans are responsible for all manner of grand cities throughout Central America. Among the most magnificent are those located in Belize.
Considered one of the Western Hemisphere’s oldest societies, origin theories range from logical to fanciful and include migrations over the Bering Straits from Asia to UFO landings! These people built, invented and created one of the most sophisticated civilizations on the planet.
Incredible Maya Inventions and Achievements
You can credit the Mayas with these wonders:
- The Mayas developed the concept of zero independently. Can you imagine a world in which zero didn’t exist? Historians regularly credit Mesopotamians and East Indians with its inception, but due to their isolation, it’s likely that the Mayas conceived it 100 years earlier.
- Thank the Mayans for inventing the vulcanized rubber ball that enables your favorite teams to play football and basketball. The Maya built huge ballfields as early as 1600 BC and played matches with balls made of vegetation bound together with latex. Sadly, the losers may have been sacrificed to the gods.
- Next time you bite into a chocolate bar, thank the Maya culture. The delicious drink they invented by boiling cocoa beans, water and spices was bitter but popular. Cocoa beans were so prized, they were used as currency.
- The Mayas developed an advanced language and writing system using glyphs akin to those found in ancient Egypt. Scribes, scholars and priests even wrote books on sections of bark.
- The mysterious Mayan calendar, perhaps the most well-known invention of all, is still being analyzed and interpreted by scholars who are amazed to find so much detail and prognostications within these intricately-designed, bas relief circles.
- Mayan art and astronomy remain astonishing accomplishments. Astronomy was used to keep tabs on time, predict the future and portend major changes. Much of this celestial wonder became fodder for crafts made of jade, bone, wood, obsidian, stone and 2D art like paintings and cloth.
- The Mayas incorporated religion and science. Priests filled teeth, cast broken bones and used 1500+ types of medicinal plants to treat ailments.
- The Maya farmers were skilled agriculturalists who pioneered raised farm beds, terrace farming techniques and water run-off erosion methods that turned mountainous areas into fertile farmlands.
Plan a trip to Belize
Intrigued? You should be. And if your bucket list includes learning more, you owe it to yourself to plan a trip to Belize to fulfill your promise to yourself. Belizean Dreams Resort handles all of the work and planning by offering you a complete package of delights that include gorgeous accommodations, gourmet food, amenities and recently implemented pandemic protocols for your safety and wellbeing.
Armed with your newfound knowledge about enlightened Maya society, why not customize a Belize all inclusive package to your liking? Visit the resort’s web page to decide which tour menu option sounds best.
While you’re there, visit the resort’s Specials page to learn about money-saving ways to enjoy your vacation just as soon as arrivals at Belize’s international airport are once again scheduled and your personal calendar makes a visit possible. Have fun stepping back in time!