You truly deserve a relaxing getaway, and there’s no place close to home that’s as accessible and affordable as Belize. If Ambergris Caye, the most expensive, tourist-attracting Belize destination, holds no interest for you, it’s time to discover the antidote: Hopkins Village. Hopkins is a jewel in Belize’s crown and the place people weary of noise and crowds are choosing for their vacations. Once you read this, you will want to join them!
Where is Hopkins Village? Follow the drumbeats of Caribbean music and you’ll wind up in Hopkins eventually! This village, located on the coast of Stann Creek District, has been called “the cultural epicenter” of the Garifuna people. But Hopkins is more than just a Garifuna hub; it’s the place you can come for a one-of-a-kind vacation.
10 Reasons to Vacation in Hopkins Village Belize
- See amazing natural wonders not found elsewhere. Hopkins is surrounded by the Maya Mountains, Cockscomb Range and the Caribbean Sea. Hiking, observing wildlife and enjoying water sports like diving, snorkeling, sailing and kayaking are all in close proximity to Hopkins Village.
- With a population of only around 1,000 Belizeans, Hopkins may be small but it was proclaimed “The Friendliest Village in Belize” by Belize First Magazine. Where did they get proof of this claim? By chatting with tourists who wouldn’t think of staying elsewhere in Belize.
- Hopkins is home to Belizean Dreams, the resort that is highly rated by honeymooners, kids and couples for its beauty, amenities, a warm and welcoming staff and Caribbean vibe. This lush property is tranquil, close to Hopkins proper and a quiet respite from resorts emulating busy bee hives.
- The food is heavenly throughout Hopkins. From boutique restaurants, small bars and ethnic restaurants, you couldn’t go hungry if you tried — though if you stay at Belizean Dreams, you may not want to leave the resort after sampling chef’s specials at the resort’s Woven Palm Restaurant and camaraderie at the Tiki Beach Bar.
- As the Garifuna epicenter of culture, you can acquire all manner of handmade products that run the gamut from original art, wood carvings, Caribbean fashion and souvenirs for loved ones back home. Learning to drum is one of the most delightful experiences Hopkins Village offers!
- Linguists love Hopkins because the villages’ mélange of languages represent Belize’s history and cultural mix. Keep your ears tuned for the local dialect — a mixture of Arawak, African, French, English, and Spanish — but you could also hear German if Mennonites are in town. You won’t find a more diverse, interesting community in Belize.
- No need to find a tour booking agent while staying at Belizean Dreams. Resort staff will arrange your tours to Maya ruins, agricultural centers, jungles and every aquatic activity under the sun.
- Belizean Dreams Bliss Spa services are extraordinary and so diverse, one visit is never enough! You’ll love the staff of professionals trained in the arts of skin care, massage styles and other delights.
- Save money at Belizean Dreams. Rest, relax and celebrate while taking advantage of Belize vacation specials and packages. Who doesn’t love discounts when they come with this much luxury? There’s lots to love about Hopkins Village, Belize. There’s even more to love about Belizean Dreams!
- Hopkins is a quaint and friendly village nestled in Belize and stands out as one of the safest and most inviting destinations for vacationers. With its low crime rates and warm community spirit, you can truly unwind and immerse yourself in an authentic Belizean experience. While it’s always wise to exercise caution by not displaying excessive cash and staying aware of your surroundings, Hopkins offers a tranquil haven where forming lasting connections with the friendly local Belizeans is part of the charm. Relax on its beaches, savor local delicacies, and partake in rich cultural experiences – Hopkins is a place where unforgettable memories are made.